Parent Council Summary
Welcome to the Parent Council area within our website.
If there are any issues that you would like to contact us about please email us at; email@example.com or to view our latest updates follow us on Facebook via the Fraserburgh Academy page.
Our next meeting will be held virtually by Skype at 6.30pm on Monday 27th September 2021.
If you would like to attend please send your email address to the Parent Council email address listed above so you can be added to the meeting.
Parent Council Ordinary Meeting Dates for 2020/2021 are as undernoted. Our meetings are open to all parents and carers involved with Fraserburgh Academy. They are very informal and relaxed, everyone is always welcome to come along and share their views, or simply listen in. They will always take place at 6.30pm on a Monday evening. Currently they take place virtually via Skype.
The current office bearers are as follows;
Chair – Jodi Anderson
Treasurer – Lynsey Gammack
Secretary – Claire Buchan
Minutes Secretary – To be appointed at the next meeting
Annual Meet & Greet
The evening of Wednesday 2nd October 2019 saw a great turn out to our annual Meet and Greet event held at the Peartree Bistro. It was well supported by new probationers and staff from the Academy and cluster Primaries, Councillors and Parent Council members.
We would like to say a special thank you to our sponsors:
Noble Bros Fraserburgh Ltd for supplying the haddock
Netherton Farm Shop for supplying the Potatoes
Peartree House and Bistro for providing refreshments
Constitution for Parent Council
1. This is the constitution for Fraserburgh Academy Parent Council.
2. The objectives of the Parent Council are:
To work in partnership with the school to create a welcoming school which is inclusive for all parents.
To promote partnership between the school, its pupils and all its parents.
To develop and engage in activities which support the education and welfare of the pupils.
To identify and represent the views of parents on the education provided by the school and other matters affecting the education and welfare of the pupils.
3. The membership will be a minimum of four parents of children attending the school plus the Head Teacher (or his or her representative). The maximum size is 15 parents plus Head Teacher (or his or her representative) plus any co-opted members.
4. Any parents of a child at the school can volunteer to be a member of the Parent Council. In the event that the number of volunteers exceeds the number of places set out in the constitution, members will be selected by election by parent forum.
Anyone not selected to be a member of the Parent Council may be offered the opportunity to be part of any sub-groups set up by the Council. .
5. The Parent Council may co-opt up to four people to assist it with carrying out its functions.
The number of parent members on the Parent Council must always be greater than co-opted members.
Co-opted members will be invited to serve for a period of up to two years, after which time the Parent Council will review and consider requirements for co-opted membership.
6. The Chair, Secretary and Treasurer of the Council will be agreed by the Parent Council members immediately following its formation.
Office bearers will be re-selected by the Parent Council on an annual basis (at the annual meeting of the Parent Forum).
The Parent Council will be chaired by a parent of a child attending Fraserburgh Academy. If the child ceases to be a pupil, a new Chair will be agreed at the next meeting.
7. The Parent Council is accountable to the Parent Forum for Fraserburgh Academy and will make a report to it at least once each year on its activities on behalf of all the parents.
If 20 members of the Parent Forum request a special general meeting to discuss issues falling within the Council’s remit, the Parent Council shall arrange this. The Parent Council shall give all members of the Forum at least 2 weeks notice of the meeting and, at the same time, circulate notice of the matter, or matters, to be discussed at the meeting.
8. The Annual Meeting will be held in the autumn of each year. A notice of the meeting including date, time, and place will be sent to all members of the Parent Forum at least 2 weeks in advance. The meeting will include:
• a report on the work of the Parent Council and its committee(s)
• selection of the new Parent Council
• discussion of issues that members of the Parent Forum may wish to raise
• approval of the accounts and appointment of the auditor.
9. The Parent Council will meet at least once in every school term, including the AGM.
Should a vote be necessary to make a decision, each parent member at the meeting will have one vote, with the Chair having a casting vote in the event of a tie.
Any two members of the Parent Council can request that an additional meeting be held, and all members of the Parent Council will be given at least one week’s notice of date, time and place of the meeting.
If a Parent Council member acts in a way that is considered by other members to undermine the objectives of the Parent Council their membership of the Parent Council shall be terminated if the majority of parent members agree. Termination of membership would be confirmed in writing to the member.
10. Copies of the minutes of all meetings will be available to all parents of children at Fraserburgh Academy and to all teachers at the school. Copies will be available from the Secretary of the Parent Council/Clerk to the Parent Council and from the school office.
11. Meetings of the Parent Council shall be open to the public, unless the Parent Council is discussing an issue which it considers should be dealt with on a confidential basis. In such circumstances, only members of the Parent Council and the head teacher, or his or her representative, can attend.
Members of the Parent Council may submit requests for agenda items to the secretary up to two weeks prior to a meeting. The secretary will distribute the agenda at least one week prior to the meeting. AOCB items will be accepted at the meeting at the discretion of the Parent Council.
The quorum for a meeting will be four (at least two of which must be parent members). All members of the Parent Council will have voting rights.
12. The Treasurer will open a bank or building society account in the name of the Parent Council for all Parent Council funds. Withdrawals will require the signature of the Treasurer and one other Parent Council member. The Treasurer will keep an accurate record of all income and expenditure and will provide a summary of this for each Parent Council meeting and a full account for the Annual Meeting. The Parent Council accounts will be audited by the auditor appointed at the previous Annual Meeting. The Parent Council shall be responsible for ensuring that all monies are used in accordance with the objectives of the Parent Council.
13. The Parent Council may change its constitution after obtaining consent from a majority of members of the Parent Forum who respond. Members of the Parent Forum will be sent a copy of any proposed amendment and given reasonable time to respond to the proposal.
14. Should the Parent Council cease to exist, any remaining funds will be passed to the Head Teacher to be kept in trust for up to two years. If after two years the Parent Council has not re-formed, the funds will be transferred to Fraserburgh Academy School Fund for disbursement for the benefit of the pupils of Fraserburgh Academy at the discretion of the Head Teacher.