Fraserburgh Academy School History
Fraserburgh Academy was originally established in 1870, at a site on Mid Street, after local clothier James Park saw a gap in the town’s education. The building cost £2500 at the time, and the first Headmaster was William McGill. By 1930, Robert Lees was the Rector of the academy. it was during this time that the school building was no longer fit for purpose, due to the rising school role. A new school building was built on Finlayson Street at a cost of £7500 and would provide accommodation for 400 pupil and was opened on 8th June 1909 by Dr Dunn H.M Chief inspector of schools. 300-400 children followed a pipe band from the Mid Street Academy to the new school. By the 1950’s the academy was now full and a replacement was now needed.
Another current academy was built on Dennyduff Road to accommodate 1500 pupils and was officially opened on 20th September 1962 by H.R.H the Princess Margaret accompanied by Lord Snowden.